Friday, September 09, 2005

Has This Happened to You?

This morning I reminded my husband that I needed our smaller car, the Subaru, to drive into Boston and park at Mass General for my annual physical. As he left the house, I could hear him repeating "Don't take the Subaru. Don't take the Subaru. Don't take the Subaru" over and over.

Naturally, he took the Subaru.

I saw him through our upstairs bedroom window driving away in the Subaru, leaving the truck behind. I tried calling his cell phone, but since he traditionally keeps it turned off to "save the battery" (I think he really just dislikes carrying a phone, but because he's currently attending grad school and going to work, I like to be able to reach him), I went right to voice mail. I then called his office (again, voice mail) and left a message in my best martyred tone that I would drive the truck to the office (it's only three miles) and pick up the Subaru. But he gallantly offered to bring the small car home.

In the end, it worked out well because he was around to wish our son off to school on the bus. Before he walked out of the house again, I gently pried the Subaru key out of his fingers--he was already gripping it--and flipped through the ring to the correct key.

This time, we said it together: "Take the truck. Take the truck. Take the truck..."

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

hahaha. Sounds like you're married to my husband! :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Mr. Liberty said...

I wouldn't worry too much, Alison.

Even Einstein used to leave the seat up.

Joe

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home