Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cups o' Burnin' Love

I love driving south on Rt. 3A (Cambridge St.) in Burlington, if only for one reason: On the edge of a playing field near Burlington High, you can almost always see a message on the chain link fence.

A message in styrofoam cups.

Each cup, one per link, forms part of a letter, and the letters always spell out something positive: "Go Team" or "We Miss You Randy." This week's message is a paean of love to a girl with the unusual name of Jeska. (Perhaps her name is Jessica, but the message-writer ran short on styrofoam. We'll never know.)

So think the next time before you toss that coffee cup--you may be tossing a potential love letter, a future rallying cry for the basketball team, or just a cheer-up note for someone who needs it.

Author's note, one day later: Michele informs me that they're not styrofoam cups, they're recyclable Dixie cups. So the messages are both romantic and environmentally friendly!

10 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Just a minor note -- those are colored Dixie cups (recyclable), not styrofoam.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Alison Rose said...

Erin--so glad you found me. I love Universal Hub!

I checked out your blog, too. And, well, CONGRATULATIONS! Folks, Erin's having a baby! Woohoo!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Alison Rose said...

Whoa--lots of business-related spam today--not sure what triggered that. But it's mostly gone now. Till next time.

10:41 AM  
Blogger briank said...

"Jeska" is a 14-year-old girl who was killed in a car accident earlier this summer. The message has been there all summer long as part of a little "shrine" -- I don't recall if the accident happened at that intersection or not. She would have been a freshman at Burlington High this fall.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Alison Rose said...

How unbearably sad. As a mother, I can't even contemplate such a thing. I was completely unaware of that--thank you.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

OMG that's wicked funny - I drive by it every morning that I take the back roads on my way to the base...funny. I see it so much, I don't pay attention to it most days.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home