Sunday, May 14, 2006

My Newest Motto

I have many personal mottos. I believe life is complex enough--and if we're lucky, long enough--that one phrase or saying can't cover everything.

For the last several years, I've lived by several mottos (not all original--they just work for me), including, but not necessarily limited to:

--You can bitch to me all you want, as long as you're not bitching about me. (In other words, I've got a great ear for listening, but if you're mad at me, expect me to be a little less patient.)

--Take my advice, I'm not using it. (Good for so many situations.)

--It takes a friend to help you move, but it takes a real friend to help you move a body. (Don't believe me? Rewatch the pilot episode of Nip/Tuck.)

--Of course I want it today. If I wanted it tomorrow, I'd have asked for it tomorrow. (I used to manage a print shop. I think at least half my customers had this one tattooed on their foreheads.)

Now I have a new one, courtesy of the wonderful movie director, former child star, and all-around good guy, Ron Howard, as quoted in this month's Vanity Fair. Namely:

--Panic is not our friend.

Words to live by, especially these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home