Sunday, June 19, 2005

Oh, and Happy Father's Day, Too!

I was so caught up in the 21st that I gave very little thought to Father's Day, even though Jim is one of the best fathers in the world. (I kind of screwed up the 20th anniversary celebration, so this year took on greater meaning than it otherwise might have.) We did take him out for a nice lunch, so all was not lost!

My own dad died when I was 13. He was not a perfect man, but he was my dad, and I loved him, and he loved me. He and my mom didn't have the perfect marriage, but she said that he loved his kids (my brother and I) without reservation. It's been more than 30 years that I haven't been able to call or send a card.

Luckily, I can wish a happy father's day to my husband. I can also thank my step-dad for doing the greatest thing a man can do when he marries your mom when you're 19--he didn't try to take my dad's place, but instead became a friend. And I can give a tip of the hat to my father-in-law, who gave my husband a pretty good role model when it came to balancing work and family--something that paid off, as evidenced by the way all four kids dropped everything in their busy lives to rush to Virginia when he had a heart attack a couple of years ago. That kind of loyalty is earned, not commanded.

So thanks to all the fathers, father figures, uncles, Big Brothers, blood brothers, and just good guys who make our kids--and sometimes ourselves--a little better each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home