Thursday, December 22, 2005

Swoony Goodness

Finally caught the new Pride and Prejudice this week at the Lexington Flick. (Yes, I know the seats are beat up and they don't have melted butter for the popcorn, but it's my neighborhood art-house-cinema dive, and I love it.)

Anyway, I'm so glad I went (with Halley, actually). For more than two hours we were submerged in delightfully Jane Austen-with-a-touch-of-Charlotte-Bronte' goodness. (The Bronte stuff being Matthew Macfadyen as a believe-it-or-not-he's-nearly-as-sexy-as-Colin-Firth-and-that's-saying-a-lot Mr. Darcy stalking across fields--not moors--in a duster and white poet's shirt to declare his love for Lizzy Bennet.) Overall, one of the most satisfying movies I've seen this year.

Admittedly, it's not 100 percent faithful to the book (see Bronte reference above), which bothers some people more than others. But it's not too far off, and it's a wonderful, sink-into-your-seat-and-enjoy-it romance. So don't be an Austen purist--just enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home