Monday, October 24, 2005

Pancake Heaven, SFNE Style

For reasons that aren't clear to me, I woke up yesterday morning with an intense craving for pancakes. (No, I'm not pregnant, and in fact, I never once recall craving pancakes when I was.) In our family, when the craving is for pancakes, we head directly for Josephs Two in Waltham.

Josephs Two (there's only one restaurant, but two Josephs--a father and son), serves some of the best breakfast food in Metro West. Or anywhere in Boston for that matter. Or just ... anywhere. Breakfast is so popular, they finally gave into diners' demands and started serving it all day (there's also have an extensive lunch and dinner menu). My parents insist--insist--on going there at least once on every visit from Virginia.

What with the pancake craving and all, I had no choice but to order the Cape Codder breakfast, which comes with the restaurant's native-cranberry pancakes--a three-stack of tasty, fluffy loveliness, counterpointed by lots of tart fruit. They also serve equally good wild blueberry cakes. Also fabulous French toast called Bananas Supreme that's like a syrupy sugar high on a plate. Also great steak and eggs, sometimes made with the leftover prime rib from dinner.

Really, these people have breakfast down to an art. Besides the wonderful food, they have none of that "no substitutions" thing that makes diners so cranky before the first cup of coffee of the day. You can even upgrade plain pancakes to cranberry, blueberry, or chocolate chip for a small charge, or add a side of the Bananas Supreme.

I'm a breakfast nut, especially on weekends. Take the paper, order coffee, eat carbs and protein. Great way to get yourself out of bed on a Saturday morning. Go to Josephs, pick a breakfast special with a New England-y name, and enjoy.

(P.S. When our craving is for waffles, it's off to Vic's Waffles in Tewksbury, but that's for another post...)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, now you made me want pancakes, and it's nearly midnight!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Alison Rose said...

Damn, that is inconvenient! Do they have places like IHOP or Denny's in England? In America, most of them are open 24 hours a day, ready to satisfy cravings at the oddest hours. IHOP makes these crepe-type pancakes with lingonberries (they call them Swedish pancakes, which is where the "international" comes from--LOL!) that are absolutely yummy.

But if you ever get to Boston, look me up and I'll treat you to a Cape Codder!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Mr. Liberty said...

That sounds like a great place.

I wish IHOP had nice pancakes.

I think the ones they serve come from 7/11 Slurpie drippings.

But I eat them anyway.

joe

2:34 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Theres a breakfast place near me??? I'm in Wilmington and we can NEVER find a place to eat, except for this one little place on the Wilmington/Tewksbury line. Please do share!

8:34 AM  
Blogger tallasiandude said...

I'm actually partial to their waffles with fresh fruit (when in season). I used to go on Sundays after playing ultimate in the winter, and have a regular-type breakfast and then waffles for dessert. Mmmmm, waffles.

And you can't forget Linda, the best waitress in the world.

Damn, I miss Joe Two's. Haven't been since I started having school on weekends.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home